Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bad Weather

No bike ride today!
If I was hard core, I would have gone on the bike ride I was supposed to do today; it was only a light rain (by Irish standards). But I'm a wimp, so I didn't. I worked on code for work instead and made good progress. If the 20% chance of rain tomorrow morning does not materialize, I'll do the missed bike ride today morning.
When I first came here, I used weather web sites to plan my bike rides and training runs for the week, but that doesn't seem to work very well. The sites don't really agree with each other and they usually predict rain anyway (which is a save prediction). The reality is that, on any given day, you get rain, sun, wind, and no wind. Many days start out beautiful and you look forward to a pleasant evening ride, just to come out of work and find it pouring.
Today was an exception. It pretty much rained all day long. It stopped in the evening, but the sun never came out. The other exception was that the web sites I consult for weather pretty much agreed that today would be a crappy day. They also mostly agree that tomorrow should be better, but colder.

The Weathernetwork
The UK Metoffice
WeatherUnderground
BBS Weather
Weather Channel
Intellicast
And Ireland's own:
Irish Met
Note the 30 km/h winds predicted for tomorrow (about 20 miles/h). The text on the above site describes this as:
Monday will be a much brighter day with sunny spells developing and it will be dry apart from the risk of a few isolated light showers. A mild day, highs of 14 to 17 Celsius, with a moderate west to northwest breeze.
A moderate breeze? Whatever!
The Irish are stoic when it comes to weather, although they do like to talk about it. When I arrived here at the end of February it was bitter cold. I've been in colder weather, but I think the humidity made it feel much colder for me. But, there was an ice cream truck driving around selling to kids. (I guess to toughen them up; early on.)

Candy floss is cotton candy.
And he was out again today! I've been wanting a picture of him ever since I saw him the first time, and today I caught him. Look at the gray sky in the picture below. This was just after it had stopped raining. And he was selling! I heard him turn off his nefarious music several times while he was in my apartment complex. He does that when someone flags him down to make a purchase.

Look at that sky and the person in the heavy rain gear.
It's usually not as depressing as it was today. Often the sun comes out and all these clouds help creating conditions for marvelous sunsets. I photographed the indirect one below a few days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment