Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WiFi in Dublin

In Albuquerque, you find free WiFi at the airport and in some restaurants. In San Francisco, at any major street corner, you get at least a handful of signals you can use, plus twenty more that are encrypted. In Dublin you get nothing.
One of my travel guides lists about three pubs and restaurants that have free WiFi. I spent about 45 minutes to find one of them (street naming and numbering here does not follow any predictable scheme), and when I did, I had a nice dinner and a good conversation with the bar tender, but still no WiFi.
I stumbled across a restaurant another night that advertised free WiFi, so I chose it. After ordering I tried to connect my iPod touch. Password? I asked the waitress and she handed me a strip of paper with a 32 character password consisting of random numbers and lower case letter! It took me two attempts to copy it correctly into my pod. And, that was before I had my Guinness ;-)

This was supposed to be a short post to show that I can be less verbose. Still pretty long; sorry. I expect they'll get shorter and less frequent in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment