Sunday, June 26, 2011

Saturday Night in Mulhuddart

Jelly beans at night

The deadline for the paper I'm working on got extended. Back into procrastination mode until the deadline re-approaches. I'm in tapper for the Ironman, so training load this weekend is low: 3.5 hour bike on Saturday and an hour run today.
I'm not much of a disco dancer, so going out on Saturday night is not all that appealing to me. But I do like photography. I had read an article that describes Painting with Light and decided to try it. You need a camera where you can select shutter speed, a tripod, and a flashlight. Turn off all the lights, open the camera shutter, and use the flashlight to "paint" over your subject.
It took me a bunch of attempts to figure out which subjects would work, how to focus in the dark, and what shutter speed/aperture size combination works best.

I like my coffee

I took these pictures over the course of three evenings (I wasn't just avoiding the Saturday night crowd ;-) It doesn't really get dark here until well after ten at night and last night, with nothing better to do, I started early. It was really not dark enough yet to achieve th effect described in the article above, but the technique produced some interesting pictures nontheless:


Low rider choo-choo
I lit up the bottom of the train with an LED light through the glass table it was sitting on. Then I used the incandescent flashlight to add some light from the side. When I clean glass, it never really works. There are always streaks. Last night I got reminded that getting rid of dust seems to be an equally difficult problem for me. Click on the image above to enlarge it and you'll see what I mean.
I also played around with a green laser pointer, but even a couple of seconds with that thing produces too many photons for most of these pictures. Although I like the swirly candy-striped pattern in this one:

Using a laser pointer and a flashlight
I found out that light-colored jelly beans, when briefly illuminated with a laser, give off an incredible glow.


You can view the entire collection, free of charge, on my Picasa page.

3 comments:

  1. Rolf - I quite liked the results of your experiment. The photo of the coffee pods ("I like my coffee") immediately, in coloring, shadows, texture and suggested movement, put me in mind of some of the paintings of Bruegel (the Elder), such as this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlandish_Proverbs. My mind, as you well know, works in odd ways!

    Cheers, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is indeed a strange and interesting painting. And my coffee pods do bear some resemblance to the colors and complex disorder of picture elements of that painting.
    Sometimes you do amaze me Mike.
    (Of course I did a google image search using my picture as input, but it did not come back with the Bruegel painting. You know, just in case. After all, I review papers and have worked with students before ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rolf. I'm just catching up with your blog. The flashlight pictures are so nice. How do you know how long to keep the shutter open? The train with its reflections is really cool. It looks like a character in a story.

    ReplyDelete