Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday Afternoon

What more could one want? ;-)
I was supposed to do a 12-mile run today, but stopped after two. My knees are still hurting (I think I overdid in the gym a couple of weeks ago, after not having lifted for several weeks). Instead, I rode my bike along the route I was going to take, to do some exploring, and then went shopping, where my eyes fell on a six-pack of ice cream bars...
Speaking of ice cream, ever since I arrived in the last week of FEBRUARY I hear and see ice cream trucks driving through the neighborhoods. It's freezing here, less than 50, sometimes less than 40, and people walk around eating ice cream.
In Dublin city center (the bus drivers wont know where to take you, if you tell them you want to go down town ;-) people wear short sleeves, short skirts, and eat ice cream. Right next to them you see other people walking in weather appropriate attire: heavy coat, gloves, and long pants. My theory is that the short-sleevers are the natives and the wrapped-up ones are tourists or immigrants.
My run, which turned into a bike ride, took me down to the river Liffey, where university students were practicing on the river.
This is the river that flows through Dublin and then into the Irish sea. I also crossed a canal where you can rent a houseboat for a weekend or a whole week and explore Ireland as a river caption. That sounds fun, and I'm wondering what the qualifications are that you have to have in order to rent one of those river cruisers.

No comments:

Post a Comment