Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Heidi has changed

Bern in Christmas mood at sunset.

This is my 100th post!
At the beginning of December I was visiting Switzerland and had a chance to go out with Stef and take some pictures of Bern. On Sundays the shops are closed and so there are much fewer people in town: ideal for taking pictures of the old town.

The Christmas markets were too crowded to go near them

Despite the closed shops, there were a lot of people in town for the Christmas markets. At first I thought I could do some present shopping and take pictures of cute stalls and handmade articles. But it was way too crowded and I fled in disgust.

They run the old tram during the holiday season.

I did get a couple of decent pictures further away from the busy markets and then met Stef for a sunset session up in the Rosegarden. That's another place that attracts locals and tourists alike to watch the sun set behind the old part of Bern. There were no tables with a view available at the restaurant more than an hour before sunset, and even outside it was somewhat difficult to get a spot with a good view.

In the Matte part of old Bern.

The sunset was so so; I saw a much better one last month in Phoenix Park, but the snow covered roofs and the street lights did give me a shot or two that I'm happy with.  I have to try this again...

The Nydegg bridge with the Rosegarden in the background, up the hill.

I flew Aer Lingus on this trip. They, and Swiss, are the two airlines that have direct flights between Dublin and Zurich. Aer Lingus lands at terminal E in Zurich, which means I had to take the little subway that connects the terminal to the rest of the airport.

Waiting for sunset.

They ring (electronic) cow bells and play alphorns over the speakers of the train to welcome travelers. There is also a short movie which they project in an ingenious  way onto the tunnel wall as the train drives by. Looking out the train window, the movie appears projected right in front of the window. However, since the train is moving, they have to update the pictures on the wall in synchrony with the movie's and train's progress.


The quick movie used to show a Heidi girl blowing you a kiss. But now things are different. The new Heidi is not as cute,  has her little brother with her, and carries a crossbow a la Wilhelm Tell. Very disappointing.


The rest of the pictures are, as usual, on picasa.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also got to eat a Grittibaenz again, after many, many years. Thanks, Kathrin!

No comments:

Post a Comment