Monday, January 2, 2012

Iko iko and swear words

We set up our Christmas tree this year upstairs in the "library".
I'm in Albuquerque for another week before heading back to Dublin. I enjoyed some vacation time between Christmas and New Year's (a happy and good one to all of you) and visited with family and friends.
Listening to the car radio the other day I heard Iko Iko on the radio. I have always liked that song and have been meaning to purchase it. Not understanding all the words and not knowing who sang it made it a little bit more difficult to find. The version on the radio sounded a little bit different, but I remembered hearing that song during the opening sequence of Mission Impossible II.
With that tidbit of information it was easy to track down the song and learning that it has an interesting history. This is the version by the Dixie Cups I heard on the radio:


That video clip shows the lyrics of the song which did not help me much understanding what this song was about. As (almost) always, there is an informative Wikipedia entry. It turns out that the song is older than the Dixie Cup version and talks about Mardi Gras Indians, something else I had never heard of before. Even with that information it is still not clear what some of the words mean and scholars have ventured that some of them have made it to Louisiana from West Africa via the slave trade through Haiti, and have mixed with Native American languages.
Other people than just me have like the song and it has been covered by many artists and used in several movies. The version in Mission Impossible II is this one:


Much more instrumental, different words, and modern sounding than the original. Plus a very suspenseful climbing scene thrown in. Watch that scene in HD on a big screen to get the full impact!
Digging around, I found other versions including this one from another Tom Cruise movie: Rain Man. This version is also modern, but closer to the original than the above one:


The Wikipedia page about Iko Iko had another intriguing hint pointing to a Swiss dialect version of the song. Of course, I had to investigate that as well! That version of the song uses the original melody but replaces the lyrics with tales of children staying out past curfew or misbehaving in other manners, including Lisa who wanted to know for sure and sat for an hour in a pond, randomly kissing frogs. The refrain in Swiss German means: come home; come home; immediately; a slap behind the ears and off to bed without dinner:


The groups name is Schtärneföifi, "star five" in English. That, in Swiss German, is a (mild) profanity. It's along the lines of "small stick gate", which I heard frequently growing up, but not quite as bad as "holy land thunder". One way to elevate the seriousness of a profanity in Swiss German is to add "once more" at the end.  There are worse, and often English language inspired, profanities in common, and more frequent, use, but non-Swiss Germans tend to think of those milder ones as cute and benign. I tended to think that our arsenal had limited fire power as well, until I heard people using "fiddlesticks", "horsefeathers", and "baloney" over here.
In 2009 the group Schtärneföifi went to New Orleans, hooked up with the Dixie Cups, and sang the Swiss version together with them. In the video below, at about 2:05 you can see one of the Dixie Cups trying, I assume, to make sense of some of those Swiss words. It cannot be any worse than "Iko iko unday; jockamo feeno ai nane".


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Rolf this is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about the Mardi Gras Indians. You should have asked me. But since you don't think I know anything, you missed out on my fabulous knowledge. That's what you get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course, Anika, I should have thought of you right away when I read the term Mardi Gras Indian! Next time I read something that has no obvious connection with you, I'll try to remember asking you first! (And then go to Wikipedia to verify your answer, in case it was not "how would I know!" ;-)
    That reminds me, I need to do another post about generational differences observed in Popejoy Hall...

    ReplyDelete